View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Stu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgethedifferent View Post
Isn't it pointless to buy 16 budget EQs for studio use when you've got unlimited ReaEQs in hand? And all the sockets, buses etc. You need to pay for that junk, while you're better off using software eqs, inserts, buses... If you don't have much, spend carefully. That's my point. So yes, IMHO it's pointless to buy a desk for studio unless you've got enough for at least a Toft. If not - try to get the best pres you can and neutral interface (RME or Motu are the cheapest I know, with RME having really decent drivers).

Different story obviously when you do live gigs along with recording.

As for my engineering, have you used Mackie desk with its firewire card so that you can judge my skills?

Besides, this thread is about that 1%.
Wether having access to 16 channel faders, eq's and insert points, plus all the other functionality of the desk (talkback, foldback mixes, aux sends, actual hands on manipulation) is pointless or not depends on an individual's needs doesn't it? For tracking an average band I would absolutely take a ZED R16 over any traditional interface (RME, Motu etc), because the difference in sound quality is pretty minuscule (by which I mean, nobody can really tell unless they could a/b with something much better) but also the ease and speed in which you can work is greatly improved. If you need to be setting up a scratch mix, adjusting foldback, talking to the artist in the vocal booth and capture a good performance at the same time (like most working engineers I would think), then a desk like this is a very efficient way to do that.

Also, you are still assuming that this desk doesn't sound good

The part about judging your skills I don't understand I'm afraid, but the OP never mentioned anything about this 'last 1%' - he asked if these desks have proved to be reliable (yes), if they are competitive with current tech (yes), if they are enjoyable (yes) or problematic (no) to work with and if there is anything better in the price range (not if you're looking for a desk/interface combo).
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote