Thread: "Fake Doubling"
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #59
thinking allowed
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhouse View Post
I think it'd be a safe bet to say that many of the tracks off at least the first V.H. album are a single guitar. A few overdubs here and there. I stink at trivia but sounds like it to me.
As good as ed is supposed to be, I don't think he could double track himself on some of those, lol.
I don't know at all how this album was tracked, but using two mic's can make things wider, bigger, and 'kind of' doubled sounding. A common method is a 2nd mic like 6 feet away, but the room/placement has to be *absolutely* right or it sounds like bad 70's.(nothing against bad 70's!)

A different 2 mic setup:

Try two SM57's (or similar) about an inch from the edge of the speaker, 90 degrees to the cabinet. Put the mics as close to each other as possible. They should look identical, same distance from the speaker. Listen and see if you like it.

Then take one mic and try aiming it 30-45 degrees (or whatever) off-axis toward the center of the speaker, again keeping the mic's diaphram as close to other one as possible to avoid phase trouble. Listen. Does it get more highs the more you aim it toward the center? Sound any better than just one mic? If no, then re-adjust or keep them in identical formation, using one track for 'trickery'.

Also, ribbon mics have LONG been loved for their sound on guitar amps. A big overlooked reason is that they are 'figure 8' patterns and not cardioid. On one side they pickup the direct sound, and the other side, they get the sound of the air that has already left the amp. By using two mics close together you can sort of simulate this, making your own polar pattern. You can keep these tracks panned together, or spread them.

Last edited by thinking allowed; 12-21-2009 at 02:01 AM.
thinking allowed is offline   Reply With Quote