View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
DevonPete
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
At any rate, the real problem back in the OS 9 to OS X transition days was third party developers had to go and figure out how to get their software to work in a whole new system. From a practical standpoint, there was such a low amount of software support for OS X in the early 2000's it made more sense to just keep running OS 9 if you already had all the software. Heck, it's not like the old software became useless overnight, one could still do everything they did the day before.
I'm sure your dates are correct. However as far as I can remember I was running OS9.1 and needed to upgrade to 9.2 to accommodate a new purchased plug-in and was told by my Mac Supplier that they were no longer supporting Mac Classic software! So to me it seemed a pretty dramatic situation, especially as it had only been a few months since I had bought into Apple Mac, had now a very successful graphics business up and running and now I was dumped. The few people I knew involved in graphics businesses were all extremely pissed-off with Apple at the time. (I've never forgiven them).

I managed to run OS9 successfully for another few years with no additional costs until I eventually dropped the graphics business. Although I have to add I know of one graphics company here in the UK who had to shell out £21,000 (for upgrading 3 Apple Mac work stations plus software) to make the jump to stay on the Mac bandwagon. However you choose to look at it that's NOT customer friendly and that was the main point of my previous thread.

I'm glad I came back to the PC platform -- despite my Mac friends who all said that once I'd got used to a Mac I'd never go back to a PC.

Just goes to show how wrong people can be.

Last edited by DevonPete; 08-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
DevonPete is offline   Reply With Quote