View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #28
Tim Rideout
Human being with feelings

Hi Pitch,

Let me address a few issues you mention, and a few misnomers about STEM rendering, as I understand it:

- if your routing in REAPER of your STEM goes to the Master Track (ie, the Parent-Child option is check in the stem/folder track's IO section), then the STEM will be processed thru the Master Buss as well. If you don't want this, then simply uncheck the Parent Folder box and route your STEM wherever you want - Reaper's routing is phenomenal, so it's easy to do this

- i disagree with the statement about online bouncing being the way to go. It's a blanket statement akin to "disable all anti-virus and make sure your BIOS is updated..." If you have buggy plugins, they will be buggy on or offline. I have never once had a problem bouncing/rendering offline. Regardless, the statement is anecdotal and would need A-B proof to validate.

- there is only one way to have your STEMs output sound exactly like the master: you need STEM bus effects on *each* STEM output buss. This is what I do when rendering my STEMs for output. If you have 3 or 4 plugs on each STEM, times 5 or 6 STEMs and a good machine, it may or may not be an issue

- Reaper saves the render project in the queue, then, yes, loads the project - if your plugins don't have enough time to load, there is an option to WAIT (x seconds) before starting the render - use this! It's a great feature

- for EVOSILICA - the *OTHER* perhaps more sensible way of doing this (for your 100+ STEMs) would be a two-step process:
- render your STEMs *without mix buss / master buss effects; call these your Mix STEMS
- re-import these STEMs into a mastering project where you could apply effects on a Master Bus, across all stems, if you can; or set up a few different mastering chains. This is often how it is done in the CD/record industry

Please keep in mind that the intention behind this is to often automate/batch render multiple tracks and multiple regions (as myself and Evosilica have identified). It's not a question of "why don't you just do it this way" - if you have to render 40+ different regions and multiple tracks, it needs to be automated. In my opinion, the dry output of STEMS and re-mastering in a new project would be the way to go - otherwise, you will have to use Mix Buss effects - which, in some peoples' workflow opinions, is a N00b move any way You should always do you Mastering in a separate process/project IMHO. But I digress...

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Is there a way when rendering stems to have the master fx included?

After rendering the main mix I export the stems to use with Ableton, but the master fx don't seem to be included and it's a bit of a pain to solo and render everything individually...

Am I missing something?

Also does anyone know if stem rendering takes into account all routing and sidechaining going on in the whole mix? I would assume it does, but just wanted to be sure.

(thanks in advance)