Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #108
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Dang,I'm confused with the string part.

I have:

MASTER_PAN n/3/MASTER_PAN s/3/

I named my things the same in editor as in file. But, I don't know what to put for the string.
No offense, but that looks really silly to me. Why would you use the name of the action description with the exact same format (see, again, the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file - did you even read that yet? you should have! - which mentions "action description in all caps"). This only makes things more confusing.

How about just using "string" or "str" for strings? E.g.
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME n/master/volume s/master/volume/str
But for all the OSC specs, REAPER, TouchOSC, and I care, you can just as well use something like:
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME s/my/master/is/this/loud
Use whatever makes most semantic sense to you. As long as you match it on both ends, it should work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I noticed they have s/"page"/trkvolval for the track volumes, but, I feel like I should have one like that for master. I can't find where that trkvolval refers to. Is it something in reaper? How can I know what to write for the master one?

But ya, if you want to use this, as a tool sitting at your DAW to complement your workstation this layout is not very awesome. But for a quick long distance control for the necessary controls you'd need when recording far away, it's pretty cool.

I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of renaming the current system. I will rename all the new parts, but I will leave the original as is.

I did move stuff around, and get rid of some things I wouldn't use though. Makes it cleaner and bigger and easier.
I already told you that namespace was retarded, didn't I? Seriously, thing will probably make much more sense much more quickly when you get rid of that retarded namespace than by trying to understand what it actually does.

So, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help people use a retarded namespace. But here's what I can do: "trkvolval" seems to stand for "track volume value". Now, doesn't "/track/volume/value" make much more semantic sense to you? Look what OSC message address is used for the TRACK_VOLUME OSC action description in the .ReaperOSC configuration you're using. It should match on both ends. If it doesn't, you can either change it on REAPER's end, or on the end of the control surface.

Then perhaps also compare how the Default.ReaperOSC configuration does the same thing, using a different namespace. Again, I would recommend sticking as close to REAPER's default configuration as possible - and not sticking to some namespace that just happens to have been used in some arbitrary lay-out that was designed to be used with a completely different application.

And those page numbers ("/3"): ROFL! Seriously, why would *anyone* care to inform REAPER what page on some OSC control surface layout some control is located on? And then live with essentialy redundant duplicate traffic in order to manage its feedback properly when the same control appears on multiple 'pages'? Did I already say that namespace is retarded?