View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Guitar-ologist
Human being with feelings

hi ,

ok i read the wiki's, and some of it is still a bit confusing.

I now understand the Dummy Audio, and the ASIO is obviously used when you have a device that hooks up to your PC with a USB jack, simple enough.

its the remaining ones that im not sure as to when and why one would choose them ?

Kernal streming - wiki says it allows efficient streaming of sound cards and devices, and that it requires less CPU than Wave Out, but that it by-passes volume control ...

Direct sound - wiki says it allows several applications to share access to the sound card at the same time.... So does this mean that i can use a mic into one jack on my pc and plug a tape deck line out into the audio inputs on my pc at the same time and then reaper will be able to record both or all of them using Direct sound ?

Wave Out - I found this when i did a google search for wave out, its taken from a site about tv,
link - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20178

"There are two types of Audio Modes for each device "DirectSound" and "WaveOut". DirectSound is the latest technology and WaveOut is the older technology carried over from older versions of Windows. It is recommended to select the "Default DirectSound Device", however, some older cards may require using one of the WaveOut devices (Especially for S/PDIF output). "

the info on the wiki's kinda explains what they all are but doesn't really explain why to choose one over the other within the context of reaper and doing audio recording.

the asio and dummy are the only ones that are clear at this point, I still honestly cant say for sure that i would understand when it would be in my best interest to use any of the others or why. I understand a bit more about them from the wiki but not enough to confidently decide on which one to use for recording purposes.?

anyway im still reading up on the net to try and better understand these terms to know when and why to choose one over the other. As i find out more info i will post it back, hopefully I will get this all sorted out sooner or later...preferably sooner..lol.

Guitar-ologist is offline   Reply With Quote