View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #114
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Masters View Post
Right. But it appears as if Mr. Merrill has already taken care of that problem?

And the first thing we suggested to Mr Merrill was he check what you suggested; shielding integrity and continuity, backplate shield, bridge, socket, etc. The supply grounding was the next step.

He's already told us he didn't have a problem with the guitar when it was recorded in a scenario with good grounding.

Edit: sorry Syd, I know what you're saying now and it's good advice. I deal with this stuff for a living and I know how to solve it. While I'm methodically doing this, eliminating the stuff that isn't causing issues, I get fed up of people suggesting things I know it isn't or jumping in at a point further up the check-list, or worse still getting their grubby fingers on stuff while I'm fault-finding, making tests irrelevant.

Hum issues and shielding are methodically found issues, and there might be more than one fault. Everyone's an expert at them, and idiot interference is endemic. I'm just waiting for the next well-meaning Joe to stick his nose in while I'm impedance checking the earth paths. I get fed up of it and a bit jumpy and defensive. Everyone is considered a bumbling, potentially dangerous idiot to be deflected until proved otherwise. That's my background, musicians tend to be worse than average if I'm dismissive it's just ingrained and I'm sorry.

Just over a week ago I had a well-meaning guitarist/rocket scientist removing an earth on a amp's mains lead to remove a hum while I was checking earth continuity on the band's mains extensions. He wasn't even in the band. I had to chop the plug off and then ask the band to remove him while I replaced a couple of earths in their gear and replaced the plug. The hum was eliminated, the guitarist no longer got shocks from mics.

This is what I deal with, so I unfairly treat people like idiots until I can see otherwise, I apologise.

It doesn't matter how good the cage is if the door is left swinging open

>

Last edited by planetnine; 06-30-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: being nice to Syd...
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote