View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #63
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Today I learned that there's a lot of ultra low end rumble noise in my living room. The fridge around the corner and the furnace blowing mostly, I think. I could turn those off if I really wanted to, but the basement is much better for things where it matters anyway. The ribbon mic seemed to reject more of the low mid room noise, but that could well have been pattern related.

In all three mics, the self noise of the mic and preamp masked whatever might be picked up from the room. The ribbon was by far the worst for overall noise. That track would be unusable without severe manipulation and a mix that could mask some of its waterfall. But I'm not sure any of these mics could really do a solo guitar or singer/songwriter thing. It is partly the Nady preamp of course, and I will have to try something similar on the Tascam downstairs, but at similar gain levels, there's a noticeable difference, and when normalized none are really great. The ribbon I'm not happy with, but the other two would be really good. I found out the other day that none of their self noise matters next to a guitar amp.

My room is reasonably well treated, but none of them display enough "room tone" to mention. They obviously couldn't all be in exactly the same spot, but they were close to each other and close to the guitar and it sounded great. Clicking the mouse a few feet away comes through them all about the same once they're all normalized. A little more maybe in the ribbon, but when I'm playing I don't think you could point it out.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote