View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #314
mike@overtonedsp
Human being with feelings

Quote:
but how can we encourage people who write plugins in a non commercial fashion to also consider linux as platform?
From a developers perspective:

As a commercial developer, I've been supporting Linux for the last ten years or more (I also implemented basic native Linux VST support for one of the most popular open-source Linux DAWs). Making plug-ins as an independent commercial developer is *just about* viable for me, at the moment, but, its expensive to do (if you want any hope of them running on anyone else's machine other than your own, then yes, you *do* need a Windows PC, Mac, and a lot of other equipment)

So persuading developers working in a "non commercial" fashion could be difficult - if you want people to work for nothing, and to invest in the tools to do so, then you get what you get - they have no more incentive to support the operating system or the feature set that you want than they do anything else - but many do use cross-platform toolkits such as JUCE which can make the job of porting existing code to Linux easier, if they decide they want to.

Last edited by mike@overtonedsp; 05-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote