View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #49
pc999
Human being with feelings

I did a second version, from the start, lots of side compression and heavier on fxs, again made only with ReaPlugs and JS ones.

This one is mostly for my own experiments, take it as that please.

http://soundcloud.com/pc999/fiction-...2-mix-by-pc999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagoth1702 View Post
You genius! Thanks, that will help a lot on the next mix, I will try that out! Definatively makes a lot of sense!

I am a drummer, I would never ditch the drums, hahaha. Nearly got a heart-attack not hearing them, after having spent so much time trying to make mine sound ok.
I actually was thinking about not mixing this song because of the dirty drum track but decided to give it a shot.

By "unfinished" I mean that it feels that way to me, as I said before I can not really say whats wrong. I'll listen to it right now again...

Ok. What I hear:
the reverb on the vocals is too agressive, you can hear the room respond too much sometimes ("it's the first", the "my breath dissappear") and because REAPER came with a very basic but metallic-sounding crappy reverb Impulse Response it does not sound good.
Here's a good video on vocal reverbs, I tried to use that technique:
Oxford Reverb on Vocals

Another thing - the panning is nice, but maybe a tad bit too much and obvious?

It's a personal thing I think, but I do not like stuff to be obvious if it's not intented. And I dont think that this song wanted that.

2:30 - why did you take the power out of the mix? This is the song's highest most important pointe and you take out the power, maybe to make the drums and vocals stand out? But thats not the right way - the mix feels too empty and when the stuff comes back in, it's again too obvious. Does not feel natural to me.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. They are based on my personal feel. (This is the last time I said this, since everybody wants honest feedback.)
First, if you are a drummer DO NOT listen to my V2 .

Second, thank you very much for the time to comment my mix, I must confess haven't been listening to the mixes in such a critical and analytical way (in this case the critical and analytical is a compliment).

And while somethings are indeed a question of taste (eg the panning) somethings are quite good that you brought them to my attention (eg I run a a deesser in my V2, actually the only thing I saw in time to enter in it).

About being too obvious, personally I think it is a little bit "songs fault".

Thanks again to you all I have been learning a lot.
________
PAXIL LAWSUIT
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Fiction mets the truth v2.RPP (29.6 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:53 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote