View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #120
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
When it comes to clip [OVER] indicators in plugins, I wish the ones that use that, also had an indicator that persisted instead of or as well as, just being momentary.
Especially with something like Nebula, where you can easily get a very slight and brief Clip and not see it if you are not looking at that instant. Thankfully the reaper meters do have a persistent indicator. Still it would be good to have one also right in the plugin, IMO.
Indeed. If it is as important as with Nebula, the plug-in itself should just have decent metering. (I find Nebula too much of a UX nightmare to use at all).
Quote:
So as to 3D work for this meter in particular. d.bop can't really use a png stack for the needle, which is the only element that would cast a changing shadow.
Actually, things are more subtle. The frames would also look slightly different depending on their position (since the lights and 'camera' don't change position, the light/view would hit them at slightly different angles).
Quote:
I think, but am not 100% that he can code in a shadow... I might be very mistaken about that.
So what would be created in 3D for this meter?
I also wonder about this:

I have all this artwork starting as 600 dpi images... where it's all very sharp and very clear. But of course that is never gonna be what gets directly used in the GUI. They have to be resized and the dpi gets reduced for the screen, eh?
Isn't that also true for whatever would be made in 3D? In otherwords, at some point of image smallness, we just run out of screen pixels.
Sure, but the limited amount of pixels on screen is not much of a problem. You can (and should!) do plenty of stuff at the sub-pixel level (much like you should use REAPER's 64-bit floating point mixing engine even if you only have 24 bit DAC on your audio output).