View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
Snap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpion View Post
Originally, Macs were popular in graphics studios because of the way text is rendered on a screen. Windows is primarily designed for reading clear text on a screen in offices, whereas Mac text rendering is closer to what you see when you print what's on screen onto a page.

The reliability has decreased from what it was. I've been a Mac technician for the last 7 years and can vouch for several dips in quality of hardware over the last few of them. There have been usually improvements again after these dips, but the Mac is not the solid system it once was. I'm always amused by people who defend the system who never actually used Macs in the G5 days when it was genuinely worth defending as a great bit of kit.

I still use a Mac personally, but Snow Leopard is where I'm staying until this laptop dies and I'm forced to upgrade.

Thank god for Reaper - I'm so glad I left Logic behind when I did...
Cannot agree more. That kind of Wysiwig by Apple's default is crucial for me. Maybe I'm too picky or simply obsessive about that, but windows makes me nervous in that department.

I switched to this current Hackintosh build from my PowerMac G5 running OS 10.4 about a year ago. That setup started to be outdated about compatibility. Now I'm stuck in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and don't feel the need at all to jump to the Lion or the last feline. Though it runs fine and smooth, things are not as stable and solid as in the last versions of 10.4 over PowerPCs. Still a more stable OS than any Win PC build I had. I tried a few Linux distros in the past and settled in Ubuntu for a long while, But I don't have enough time/motivation to tweak the OS every time. Mac is stable, easy and smooth enough for now. If they screw it at some point I'll switch to Linux for sure.

Don't know how good Remix OS works and I don't like Ardour at all. But won't pay for any OS constantly causing me nervous breakdowns. At least I'll be getting the OS for free.

Last edited by Snap; 08-07-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote