View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #2280
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Hi Geoff, Happy New Year! thanks for all your hard work over the old year- CSI is coming along great!

Thanks for confirming the master fader bug, I can stop scouring the setup files looking for errors now. As PoetandProphet doesn't seem to be affected by this, could it be something to do with the creation of new projects from scratch?

I've completed a lot of .fxt files now and they're working great (once i'd corrected all the mistakes )

Here's a few notes I made as I went along:

In Waves, most multi-position switches won't work with a rotary controller, although a switch will select the first and last positions.

In u-he DIVA and Repro, three position switches won't work with a rotary controller but 2,4 and greater are fine.

In Slate VCC and Trigger, out of range values from the controller crashes Reaper.

In Slate VBC, out of range values causes the on screen control to disappear (non-fatal).

Regarding stereo linking in VBC, this from the manual small print: "When Stereo Link is engaged, each control has its own automation lane. The Stereo Link only links control changes that are coming from the VBC GUI. The automation is managed by the host, and the plugin can't override it without any undefined side-effects." So it's definitely Slate, not CSI.

It's easy to miss if a plugin has a parameter name with a space at the end (Dynamic Spectrum Mapper , this means you!) This results in:-

Getting the parameter name wrong in the rotary assignment usually results in the wrong (random) parameter being controlled.

Forgetting to close the quotation marks on your alias name means the original name will be used.

Syntax errors in the .fxt can prevent Reaper from starting (ie crash on launch) or causing an error message regarding the odd termination of a C++ library (forgetting to close the quotation marks on a rotary parameter name with spaces causes this)

Flickering displays is a sure sign you have more than one widget assigned to the same parameter.

It is essential to comment out (/) any lines in the .fxt that aren't being used or chaos will ensue. I also comment out the blank lines I use to make the .fxt more readable.

I've been experimenting with using Pages to allow more than one C4 worth of parameters to be used (a ridiculously ambitious plan to map the u-he DIVA synth)

Essentially this involves creating a copy of the current Page, but changing the .fxt assignment to point to a different folder of .fxt files. These files contain the additional parameters for any given plugin.

This works, up to a point. It can take a bit of channel switching back and forth to get the second Page parameters to load, but once this happens you can switch between the two parameter sets easily.

I tried more than two pages but had problems with the Pages loading on NextPage press. On the button press the parameters wouldn't load to the surface and a further press would move on to the next Page's parameters. With 4 Pages, nothing I did would cause Page3 to load, so I stuck to 2)

It can get confused quite easily (and so can you) meaning a parameter set from a previous fx slot gets loaded instead of the one you were expecting. I think it needs a kind of "Synch Pages" fix but for FX slots rather than channels.

Obviously all this becomes unnecessary when we have layer navigation for the FX assignment.

+1 for direct Page navigation

All the best MM

Thanks as usual to you and others for the fabulous discussion/testing/support.

Basically what you've posted here is a great start to the Tips/Tricks/Gotchas section of the docs -- huge thanks !!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote