View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #30
Mind Riot
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
VladG made one for the KVR Dev Challenge last year. Haven't used it much since I have FlX but it seems pretty awesome and it's free. The interface is a bit eye searing but IIRC it can be skinned.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/nova-67p-by-vladg-sound
Nova67p is where I started with all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
MDynamicEQ Kills it imo. Ugly gui though. I even bought a nicer skin for it!! Excellent utility plug. M/S per band and some nice saturation if needed. Check out the harmonics function. Very cool.
Are you talking about Satya's skin? I bought it too, I have a few different Melda plugs in my toolbox aside from the freebies, I also picked up their multiband convolution plug and their multi-analyzer.

Satya's skin is a vast improvement and removes the biggest downside to Melda's plugs, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
Best tip I can give you is to never use the default eq setup. It starts with a display range of +24 > -90. There are few tasks where you need this much range. You need this is subtraction mode, that's it.
I love ReaFIR, despite it's somewhat fiddly nature. A friend of mine used to film weddings and would have me clean up the audio to remove air conditioning noise and the like, and ReaFIR's noise profiling and subtraction mode made the whole thing take about five seconds minus the rendering.

I bought Melda's plug to do my dynamic EQing because I decided I didn't mind spending the equivalent of a dinner out for the wife and I on a superb tool, but it's absolutely badass that between ReaFIR, ReaEQ, some other plugs, and parameter modulation that there's about ten other ways to do it in Reaper for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Can you guys give me some concrete examples of WHERE one would use a dynamic EQ.

I cant wrap my head around multiband compression at all. Dynamic eq seems easier to grasp but I'm having a hard time determining how and why it would be useful.

For something like sibilance I'd use a dedicated de-esser or just reduce it manually through editing. Same with plosives. Those are the only frequency dependent issues I can think of where a dynamic EQ would be useful but in my case redundant.
One example Melda used in their tutorial clip for the plug was a conflict in high mids between a guitar track and a vocal that made the vocals indistinct. So the EQ was used on the guitar track with a sidechain input from the vocal track to pull down just the high mids and only when the vocals were present, leaving the guitars alone otherwise. The vocals stood out much better, and the guitars were untouched otherwise.

One thing I've experimented with is using it as an expander on overcompressed drum samples. So if you've got a drum sound that you like but it's just lacking a little life and you don't want to rebuild it from the ground up, or your samples are preprocessed as most are these days and have too much compression, you can set the dynamic EQ at several different frequencies to not compress but expand, and it brings out some more dynamics and detail.

Another thing I've been messing with is trying to make some loudness war casualties more listenable. I used it in combination with Terry West's Relife plug to try to bring some life back to super squashed, clipped commercial records, again set up as an expander, and the results were quite pleasing.

It would also work better as a ducker for a bass guitar using a kick drum as a sidechain than a standard compressor, because you could just duck the conflicting low frequencies instead of the entire bass track. But you might prefer to duck the whole track, either way.

Every time I try something, I think of something else to try.

Last edited by Mind Riot; 07-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote