View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
lakeshorephatty
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine Midi Mode - knobs will not control Reaper actions and FX.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am having an issue midi controlling plug in controls with maschines 8 knobs as shown for example in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhErfvs9YM

If I follow these exact steps and also others that I have found online I can get reaper to recognise the proper CC. When I click learn and turn the knob reaper automatically chooses the CC # corresponding to the knob, so it knows it's there.

The problem is after reaper learns the CC value I should be ready to go but the control knob on maschine does not control the plug in knob as it should.

Here is what I do know:

- I am using USB midi between maschine and the macbook

- When I go back to learn the proper CC assignment is still there.

- the maschine knobs have various midi modes:
Control Change (default setting) - seems to do nothing
Poly Pressure - not useful for controlling when tested
Channel Pressure - not useful for controlling when tested
Program Change - not useful for controlling when tested
Pitchbend - this actually moves the learned parameter a bit, but not through it's full range
MCU V-Pot - This WILL control a panner in reaper with the knob but is stuck assigned to a panner and will not control anything else
MCU Channel - This WILL control a fader in reaper with the knob but is stuck assigned to a fader and will not control anything else
MCU Master - This WILL control the master fader in reaper with the knob but is stuck assigned to the master fader and will not control anything else

- so some of the knob modes prove the knobs can be assigned and move functions. I think the general "control change" mode is best but it will not control learned plug in parameters. I tried mapping the knobs to reaper actions requiring CC as well, such as scrolling, and this also does not work.
- I can assign the buttons on maschine successfully to actions in reaper and they work.
- I have tried setting reaper's "control surface" mode to various templates, but certainly not all of them yet. I tried Mackie control universal and Yamaha O1X for starters
- I have tried starting from both mackie control template in maschine and also from a blank default template, which I am working from now to prevent double assignment of functions.
- when I turn the knobs on maschine, the CC values go up and down. Of course also in MCU modes described above they move faders and panners. I think this rules out a hardware issue.
- Also I'm assuming the general set up is all correct, since I can see the track names from reaper on the maschine screens, and I can control certain features with buttons and knobs.

So reaper can definitely be controlled from maschine midi mode, but the buttons seem to be able to be mapped in most circumstances, whereas the knobs I can't seem to get to map and control any reaper CC.

I can't be certain whether this problem is occuring with something in Maschine's set up, or reaper.

Please help!
lakeshorephatty is offline   Reply With Quote