View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
SongsbySteve
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
LOL. I thought I was the king of confusing. :-)

I take it you don't want to apply any compression to make it sound louder but just need to master the mixdown so it all evens out? :-)

I know the volume controls are confusing because they work in dB and when you want to think in terms of half volume, which I fully understand, it doesn't think that way. I mean, 0 is full volume, who thought up that conundrum? Looks backwards. Looking through the reaper guide I can't even see a way to view or set it as a percentage or other reference point.

I'm wonder what your intentions are here. You have an instrumental track. So are you are adding vocals and any other instruments on top?

Apart from looking at the meters you can add FX on a track like JS: Audio Statistics and it will display levels in real time as the track plays. You can then use this a gauge to how loud your track is. Oops I punned it. :-)

One way around it is to adjust the master volume down till it's under 0dB but each track should be adjusted alone so they all balance out when mixed.

Or, the most obvious thing to do is to drag the track volumes down to half if mixing two tracks, then crank up the volume knob on your stereo so it sounds louder! :-P
Thanks Hypex. My current projects are simply a professionally created backing track wav file and my home recorded vocals. Not complicated mixes.

I think gain staging has probably solved my current problems. I'm still learning lots and everyone here has been super helpful.
SongsbySteve is offline   Reply With Quote