View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #21
Diogenes
Human being with feelings

Slightly OT...

You know what PISSES ME OFF about this Vista thing? The way MS and the PC vendors are SHOVING it down our throats! GRRRR!!! In the last year or so, all our software is finally fully supported and operating well under XP. We have some industry specific, kinda 'special' software that most people here use on both desktops and laptops. We get new PC's... guess what? They are preloaded with Vista. The desktops are not a big deal. IT dude has to dig around a bit for some drivers but he gets the desktops working fairly quickly. It's the stinking laptops that drive us nuts. A few weeks ago, a colleague got a new laptop with docking station, external KB, mouse and LCD. Fine. IT dude slaps XP Pro on it and after a few hours of twiddling, gets almost everything working well EXCEPT the external KB. What? It's just a blinkin' KB? It seems Dell has a special driver for the KB or something?

IT dude: Hey, we have a new Dell Model XXXX laptop here. We have to install XP Pro on it.

Dell Geek: Errr... no. That machine ships with Vista.

IT dude: I am aware of that. We can't use Vista.

Dell Geek: Why not? It's one of Microsoft's most innovative and cutting edge OS's ever!

IT dude: *roll-eyes* Right. Anyway, it's really no concern of yours WHY I have to install XP on it. I just need XP to work with the external KB supplied with the unit. The built-in KB is fine and everything else is fine under XP. The external, USB KB YOU supplied does not work.

Dell Geek: Did it work with Vista?

IT dude: Yes.

Dell Geek: Can you re-install Vista?

IT dude: NO! Let me speak to your supervisor.

Dell Geek: Errr... hold the line please.

FIVE MINUTES LATER...

Same scenario with Supervisor 1...

TEN MINUTES LATER...

Same scenario with Supervisor 1's supervisor...

Already long story shortened somewhat... we still don't have an operating external KB. A generic USB KB will work but the supplied Dell will not. This particular user just "has to have" the goofy little shortcut keys and volume control the Dell KB has on it...

Vista on my DAW? No way! Not until I HAVE to buy a new machine and Vista has been around for a while. I haven't run out of juice on my XP box yet.

D

PS Sorry for the rant.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote