View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
Not sure what it's called, it's a made in china generic type thing. The Yaggi's are imports too.

I attach the 1 watt USB adapter to the laptop and connect to the wifi access point (existing) that runs DD-WRT. The yaggi's connect to the adapter and the router respectively and you get a rediculously powerful narrow beam that I use point to point.

Generally, it is too powerful, you feel eye strain and get headaches when it is on and you are in it's path. I generally don't use it for a full show, more or less just to find my spot, and if wifi is that bad, I'll run an ethernet cable.
Oh OK, it's a USB wi-fi adapter (as opposed to a general use USB adapter). I almost tried one of those. I didn't go for the narrow beam point to point since I intended to roam. Hmmm... no headaches or anything here...
I was almost going to try that on the iPad to replace its anemic little radio but 'everyone' on 'all the forums' says that none of them play nice with the iPad (ie. driver issues apparently).

My secret weapon was making a 12' antenna mast from mic stand parts that collapses into the back of the rack.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote