View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #70
Totoro75
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I have a Powerblock, and it's awesome. The amp itself sounds pretty boring, but it's just an incredibly useful piece of gear to have for the number of things it can be used for.

However, may I ask what purpose it's serving in your chain there? It looks like you're using it as a DI box, but your signal is still going to be running through the amp section, which isn't something the "typical" DI setup would do. Obviously if it sounds good, keep doing it, and if it sounds really good like that I might have to copy you.
Hi! The intention was to give the signal a little more heft and warmth before it hit Reaper, and I figured that a low gain setting with just little extra treble might add life to the tone. It sounds good, but I haven't done enough side-by-side testing to see if it actually warms up the tone, or if it's just muddier. I could just go right into the Digi002 and leave the tone shaping to the digital FX chain. I also haven't done any EQ or compression, so that's an important element I'm missing from this picture.

At the end of the day, I'm looking for both warm reverby clean tones as well as heavy Soundgarden/Isis riffage. So far I've only worked on the clean tones, so I've got more experimenting to do.

If you are happy with your basic setup, I'd love to know what you do and why.
Totoro75 is offline   Reply With Quote