View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #5202
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi Folks, new CSI user who is looking to move from the Avid walled garden to Reaper. Key to my workflow a function control surface, and so I am of course drawn to Geoff's CSI. At present I have an Avid S3 and Transport, and am trying to build a Reaper based solution. I suspect that the S3 will be sold and replaced by a 16-24 fader bank as it is not well supported via HUI / MCU. (the top 16 encoders are not addressable it seems)

I have created some surfaces using Lemur and its worked as expected, apart from data being dropped somewhere in Reaper/CSI. I have created a simple Patch that has a Fader and a button, and is successfully switching focus on selecting a new track. My Test Reaper session has only three tracks and one audio file so CPU is 1-2%. When I am recording automation I was noticing that the response was a little laggy at times and seemed to drop data.

To rule out Lemur and Wifi, I built a MaxMSP Patch that generates a sinusoidal ramp and spits this out at 14bit. CSI is happily receiving this via internal MIDI routing (so no Wifi) but the results are the same as the Lemur-Wifi input. Inconsistent data being received and recorded as you can see in the screenshot. I tried changing the 15hz rate up and down and this didnt remedy the inconsistency.

Any thoughts? Is this a byproduct of the various scripts that CSI needs or something else do you think? I should note that this machine is my performance machine and is usually running Ableton and MaxMSP with oodles of internal MIDI, and until Reaper/CSI, I have not seen this dropping data issue before.

Thanks for your thoughts, tdc.

MacOS 10.14.3 / MBP / Reaper 5.983 / CSI latest.

I've run tests on my own setup and now I realize why I don't like doing fast fader movements with MCU controllers in Reaper (or CSI which gets the same pitchbend data). I'd presumed midi controllers are no good for that, unlike ethernet-based controllers in Protools. I could mix dialogue without a compressor with the Procontrol's optical faders. Midi faders have always been slower but the data was never this bad in PT.

Reapers capture is somehow uneven and may need work or require better interpolation and perhaps thinning. I've posted about this in the bug report forum section here : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226074 .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote