View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

great video. nice illustration with that bonobo track.

+1, and i would say that this presents itself as a full on bug, even if it was a conscious "this is good enough" decision at time of implementation. "overdub" is the only midi mode i use, so i see this all the time, as well as other issues caused by this.

notes being recorded as infinite-length while recording in overdub mode has caused multiple issues in the past, it's appropriate to fix it so that the note length (while being recorded) chases the overdub/play cursor, rather than appears as an infinite note.

circling back to the thread topic: the mpc1000 did this properly, too. cleverly, it allowed noteoffs to exist outside of the sequence ("item," in REAPER lingo). this way, you could play sequences sequentially, and the note that extended past the first sequence would end sometime DURING the 2nd sequence, even though it didn't appear in that 2nd sequence. like a hangover from last night's party extending into a workday, except a good thing.

the 1k even let you record notes at cursor while the sequence wasn't playing -- and you could watch the note extend by duration of held note while the sequence was stopped. good stuff.

meanwhile, in REAPER, it seems that various limitations are forcing us to create massive, track-long midi items. this is no good for midi zooming. i use item bounds as zoom reference points - i need them and cannot do what Tod and others suggest with track-long midi items. it's ironic that REAPER's "agnostic track" format is leading some of us to create full-on MIDI tracks after all.

Last edited by mccrabney; 04-12-2019 at 05:03 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote