Thread: Reaper OSC
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcBaPr View Post
if you insert a track i think binding should move to next track and stay with the fader, same with FX.. if you copy the effect i would have the binding on both unless that would cause problems ?? im not sure i can see how that stuff could be problematic though ?
Well, let's see: after copying the effect, you could edit the parameter automation envelopes in REAPER for the parameters using *different* faders using bindings with the *same* OSC address/message. So, you could have two envelopes with a different shape.

That's not a problem in itself, but it becomes one when we want to add parameter feedback for the bindings, because that implies we would be sending *different* values to the *same* parameter at the *same* time.

Alternatively, if the envelopes would still remain exactly the same shape, we would be attempting to send duplicate, thus redundant values. That is very inefficient, problematic (in terms of network traffic), and possibly confusing - so REAPER would have to filter the 'flood'.

You see where this is going? For many relatively simple purposes, it may be hard to see why it doesn't just work out of the box - until you start looking at more complicated use cases. And, of course, we would ideally want to have REAPER's functionality accommodate as many use cases as possible. Which is why we may have to think hard about what exactly we want.

(Of course, this problem also arises when using MIDI bindings. Which is probably one of the reasons why feedback for MIDI bindings is not yet implemented in REAPER either.)