View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #30
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Yep, i asked a similar question in another thread but i have to ask it again here. I also thought that the 'input' level into an 'analogue-sounding' plugin mattered i.e. that it was best to make sure the input was trimmed to the 'zone' the original analogue device was operating in. Again a reason to make sure you leave some headroom on your individual tracks, as you and other have been mentioning.

However, i got told in that other thread that those plugins would 'automatically' trim the input to the 'proper' input range (and applying the appropriate gain after the plugin if needed).

So the question is : what is true ? Or is the answer: "we dont know for sure, and leaving headroom on each track will make sure you will never get the issue in the first place".

Yves
If you've ever tried Nebula, and bought any 3rd party library, it is clearly stated that these programs will behave closest to the original gear when driven like the original gear (that is -18dbFS). Obviously.

This is one important paragraph from yep's posts IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
If nothing else, it at least makes it easier to mix, since you can just throw up all the faders to zero and still have headroom to work with, as opposed to constantly having to crank down the master fader and/or re-mix every time you add new processing.
It makes just everything much easier – a good example is bouncing/applying FX and A/B'ing tracks or FX. Just leave everything at unity, and you're set.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote