View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #139
Lucian
Human being with feelings

I would be pissed too if I spent $3000 on a system that didn't live up to
my expectations but to rile up the masses over $60 software with a dev staff so small the whole world knows them on a first name basis is just bitch hunting.

I voted No, midi is fine for me. Granted I use mid like audio, I record it and then alter it to my liking. Simple. But then I am also aware of some users I would guess are 98% more advanced in their midi usage than I who grok the implementation of reaper as if it was written for them and are very keen on sniping midi bugs. But to disparage the users who add functionality as hacks, I don't get that. For the devs to make the system open enough that others, probably driven by personal workflow, can add functions that probably surprise Justin is better in my eyes than any closed system.

As for the MIDI vs Audio track thing, treating them both the same as interchangeable is bold and logical. For basis I paraphrase the Hegelian Dialectic: For everything, there is an opposite and merging the two brings a higher state. Granted this creates an opposite as well so complete resolution is impossible. This is fine by me. Keep the updates coming.

Do things veer off in odd directions? Yes, some don't affect me yet some open my palette as I can now score my own video. I started programming with Peek and Poke and int 21h and I see the devs bending over backwards to incorporate features users want, especially when presented in specific scenarios. If something takes 5 clicks instead of 2 usually means I only have to do it once and then save a template, so get on board!

I have seen plenty of pissed people swear off Reaper for a variety of reasons only to see those very people turn into fanbois with version 2 and 3. So what's the rush? You can't for version 8?

My only fear is this software will eventually be bought out to be the core library for Skynet.

Seriously, is midi that lacking? I can think of 2 women in this community who are more MIDI than almost all of us and make money at it. Do they have suggestions? of course but from what I can tell from their experience with midi hardware compatibility is a Godsend. Is it perfect? no, are you?

Some of these people are coming across to me as if they regret spending $60
as if it was supposed to be a shortcut to coding it themselves. The irony is those could are 'hacking' extensions that a sane user would praise?

Viva Le Cockos!