Thread: Linux installer
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #29
Stringer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Is it part of the repository? If so, are dependencies being installed too? Maybe try using synaptic package manager (gui for apt on mint/ubuntu). It may not be as cool as using the terminal, but it's far easier to use for normal desktop users.

Also, not to state the obvious, but adding a non-admin user to the sudo group essentially gives them admin privileges, which can be a security risk (kind of defeats the purpose of having non-admin accounts). Use at your own risk I guess. From the sounds of it though, you're already using an admin account, so you're probably already part of the sudo group.
Yes, I have an admin account and a non-admin account. I did try installing from the repositories via the software manager and it said it was installed, but hitting "launch" doesn't do anything and the program doesn't appear anywhere that I can find via the menus or with search. It's a mystery.

One of the things about Mint as a distro is that it is very easy to install and use without ever opening a terminal. That is good, in a way, because it is easy to use. It's bad, in that one can use Linux for a long time without ever having to really learn how it really works. I suppose that is true of Windows and OSX too. Anyway, I know just enough about command line stuff to be dangerous to my system.