View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #749
lightnb
Human being with feelings

After some experimentation, it seems that the problem occurs when trying to run multiple patches in a single Kontakt instance. This is what overloads the CPU.

I created 24 tracks, each with a separate Kontakt instance via LinVST, and each having only one patch loaded on it, and it seems to work fine.

With 24 Kontakts running on 24 tracks, I get about 40-50% CPU usage on all eight cores when monitoring from Linux.

The problem is, each Kontakt+Wine+LinVst instance uses 400-500 MB of RAM to run a patch that's maybe a 30MB patch. I don't know if there's a more RAM efficient way to do this. So 24 tracks uses 12GB of RAM, where on Windows I had maybe 60 tracks with orchestra articulations and a few piano and choir patches) sitting at 7GB of ram.

I put articulations on separate tracks because I hate key-switches. I'm looking into some plugin scripting options to deal with articulations a different way.

I also wanted to ask about USB interfaces. I've never used one. My sound card seems to be working fine at the moment. But I want to be able to hook up a mic that uses phantom power.

You mentioned you had the NI interface in your signature, so presumably that works OK with Linux. I've also found a lot by Focusrite "Scarlett" that seems to be popular. (I was looking at used stuff on Facebook marketplace. A lot of audio gear for sale in Nashville, which is about a 3.5 hour drive. Probably not worth it vs ordering new, but a good idea of what's out there.)

I also found a Zoom R-24 that looks like it has multiple in/outs and some mixer functionality and can record to an SD card "in the field". It claims to have 24 channels and DAW mixing support, but only 8 inputs, so I'm not sure where the 24 comes from, and if any of that works on Linux or is even useful. But I could take it to the woods or a coffee shop and get an ambient noise track with the built in mic, maybe.

There's so many options and none of them advertise Linux support (of course).

What I'd like to do is create a "no budget" animated web series using Blender and (almost) only free and open source software. So on the audio side, I would need:

1. To compose music with high track counts (full orchestra).
2. Possibly record Foley and other sound effects (I don't know how much sound design vs buying libraries makes sense, but a portable recorder makes sense for any field work).
3. Recording voices for characters. Some voice actors might be remote and use their own system though...)
4. Put it all together in a master mix set to edited picture. Having six outs would allow surround mixing, although I don't know if streaming sites (YouTube, VEMO, etc support surround and I don't know how many people have a setup for it.)
5. The ability to patch in "real" gear? I don't know if this is useful or not, but I do have a Yamaha SPX990 it might be fun to patch into a Reaper channel. It would take two aux outs (not main L/R) and two ins. Not sure if it can be automated via MIDI in reaper either.

So, long question short, do any of you other Linux users have experience with audio interfaces on Linux and know which ones tend to work well and which to avoid?
lightnb is offline   Reply With Quote