View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #77
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for the help on this one. I'd have never found the commands to make a dual format DVD all visible, looking through search engines.
Heh, I made sure to save the information somewhere so that I could look it up again, I lost so much time figuring it out...

Quote:
So how do I back this entire copy of Linux up so I can restore it onto larger media? I'm down to 7.2GB of space after installing all this cool stuff I wasn't expecting to ever install.
I suppose that depends on what you want to do..

If just cloning the Linux partition onto another one, I'd use rsync:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...system_cloning

This program is great. You can do nearly anything with it.

If you are moving your Linux install to a new sdd, I'd create a couple of small partitions to install the OS into and the rest to keep your user data in. Mine is basically setup with a smallish partition for / (root), a small partition for swap, and most of the disk dedicated to ~ (the home dir). In addition I have a couple of partition to use for /, so I can have a backup in case something goes wrong updating the distro, or to install other distros in. Like that I can easily check some distro out and still have all my data available.

You could also alternatively connect another sdd, use rsync to clone your ~ to the new disk, delete the old ~, and finally mount the new disk in /home/yourusername. Like that you keep the install and have the entire disk available for data.

There are so many ways to do this, that it's hard to give advice..

There is also gparted and other programs that could shrink your windows partition and increase your linux partition. But this might be dangerous and I'm not very comfortable recommending it. I managed to kill a windows7 install once like that. For linux that would be no problem, but windows can be finicky about it...
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote