View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #204
Macc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hi Macc.

The way it's set up now, black or white (depending on theme) represents non tonal elements (broad noisy spectrums or transients) and works quite well for that. You can shift the colour spectrum around in the spectral settings window which might get you closer to what you want and if you right click the coloured area in that window, you get options to have the the octaves spread over so many colour bands.

Not quite what you want though.

It might be something that can be opened up upon later on though or in the API.
I hope so. I've spent absolutely ages fiddling, getting it as close to the Comparisonics as I could. Check here, and esp here and here - this track had way too much below 80Hz. That is clearly visible in the Samp peaks image. In Reaper it could be anywhere from low mids down.

I mention all this NOT because I want Reaper to be more like Samplitude, but because Comparisonics *instantly* looked right from the very first moment for me. I know a lot of other Samp users love it too, and you might be able to win them over with stuff like this

And personally, as a mastering engineer, if I load up a 25-track various artist compilation, knowing which ones are going to have low end problems right from the outset is a huge help. If this was possible then Spectral peaks would be much better than Comparisonics; it's sooooooooo close to being perfect.

As regards fading to theme colours, I have the theme colour set to a 'noisy grey' colour, so the 'fade noise to theme colour' option makes things look... well, noisy (like a detuned TV, almost). So if there were a tick box option to extend the low/high end to black/white you could have the noise any colour you wanted and not lose any functionality.

Finally I know this must be a trivial, stupid little thing, but goddamn those Comparisonics have been useful over the years. It's the one thing that kept me with Samplitude for so long, tbh!
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote