View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #2350
dixo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Haha, I was being facetious to make a point -- even with 31,500 baud the 2500 needed for the update is less that 10% of the bandwidth.
But you also must take the update frequency into account. If you want the LEDs to reflect the actual states reasonably quickly after the control with internal feedback is released (say 1/10th of a second), you need 10 updates per second. This means (using the data from your example) 10 x 2500 bits = 25000 bits per second.
So now we are already at 80% the 31250 bits/second bandwidth of a (5 pin) MIDI stream.

Also, the 2500 bits update takes about 80ms to transmit. If you transmit it in bulk this may add a random 80ms latency to the response time of CSI to Reaper state changes. Of course you could spread out the update or prioritize traffic to mitigate this.
Not saying this will be noticeable, I have no idea what the current latency of CSI is.

So, again, I am not saying this will be a big deal or not in real world scenarios, but it is stuff to take into account (if I did the math correctly).
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote