View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #150
SaulT
Human being with feelings

Super big caveat before I go any further -

I don't claim to be more knowledgeable than anyone else here. I have far less experience than some. I'm not telling, I'm only suggesting what has been a good starting point for me in the past pretty consistently from mix to mix. Thank you for being receptive to this.

To sum:

ReaEQ and ReaComp on all channels. Highpass everything, higher (150 Hz+) if it's not a bass/kick, lower if it's the non-bottom end instrument (70-90 Hz? higher?), and really low if it is (40 Hz-ish). Many of the ReaComp presets aren't bad places to start, you may just need to tweak the thresholds appropriately.

With your mix in mono, use faders, compression, and EQ to get everything balanced out without using any exciters, saturation, etc. Just the plugins I've mentioned.

I'd suggest starting with drums solo'd, then add bass, then add vocals, then add guitars. At each step be willing to go to other instruments and cut out frequencies in other instruments to give these things space. Aside from high-pass, EQ vocals as little as possible.

It might not be a bad idea to try RBJ1073 on drums before trying ReaEQ, since it would be simpler, and those frequencies do tend to be ones we are interested in, drum-wise. Otherwise, use it globally, but only turn it on at the last step. (yes, it is bundled with Reaper)

Focus on consistency and putting all instruments in their proper place rather than getting it loud. That can always happen later, of course.

Stylistically, you have a choice - either the bass occupies your lowest frequencies or your kick does. The trend on what I've been listening to lately has been to really pull back the kick, so much that you hear it more than feel it. So, one of the two gets a low highpass (30-40 Hz?) and the other gets a higher highpass (70-90 Hz?). FWIW, I'm hearing the same trend with the snare - really pulled back. *shrug* YMMV.

A trick that I like to use with the 1073 plugin is to set the bass boost *below* the highpass, e.g. highpass at 60, boost at 50. It's a good way to give a gentle bass boost and warmth without using saturation. Definitely experiment with those midrange cuts - even -3 dB to the right frequency can make a huge difference, clarity-wise (this ties into the mud zone comment below).

You're going to add reverb to the mix at some point. Use as little as possible (the style you're going for tends to be very dry), and try to only use it after compression. This is important.

Pay attention to the mud zone. Many instruments tend to sound a little bit poo-ish in the 400-900 Hz region, especially guitars. Some cutting here may help improve clarity in your mix.

The only thing I'll say about the music stylistically is that it sounded odd to me to have the lead guitar appear out of nowhere then vanish. I'm not sure what to think about it, except that if it was me I'd pull it back a little and try to blend it in more with the rhythm guitars. That's just me.

Again, thank you for being receptive, and I apologize for the length of this post. Brevity is not my strong suit.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote