View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Yamaha Man
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI capture of instrument voices

I'm running a Yamaha DGX-640, Reaper and an Asus laptop running Windows 7. There was no issue to connect the DGX-640 to the laptop via a USB cable. I can create a new MIDI Item in Reaper, record the default keyboard (Grand Piano) in Reaper and play the recorded track back through the piano’s speakers. It sounds great.

My problem is that the DGX-640 comes up a large selection (500) of different voices (various pianos, organs, saxophones, percussion, etc.) but I can’t capture the individual voices in MIDI. No matter which voice I select the sound is always played back as Grand Piano. Recognizing that MIDI does not transfer any sound, only data, is there any way to configure Reaper to capture the actual selected voice (e.g. a saxophone) from the piano?

I have plenty of VST’s and the DGX works great as a controller to play them. I have tried to add the DGX-640 as a VST in Reaper. Reaper appears to scan the DLL files but when I add a VST Instrument Track and try to add the DGX-640 under FX it doesn’t appear in VST, VSTi or Instruments.

I work around the whole problem by running a cable from the headphone out jack (there is no separate line out on the DGX-640) to a Tascam US-122L then into the headphone-in jack on the laptop. I have also recorded with microphones (using XLR connections into the Tascam) and the quality is equally good. Either way, I capture a great sounding saxophone (as a WAV file) as represented when playing that voice on the piano.

However, it would be ideal if I could edit the individual DGX-640 voices in MIDI. If anybody has any ideas as to what I could try next please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Yamaha Man is offline   Reply With Quote