View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #66
Totoro75
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
i do appreciate though that you need a half decent guitar to have a hope of a 'good' digital sound, so this thread has a hard job, i don't know, maybe sticking with what we can do once we've recorded a dry signal into a DAW should be the start point?
I don't want to step on the toes of those who are clearly more knowledgeable than me, but I second this motion. For a setup, I'm taking the guitar to my friendly neighborhood shop and hoping for the best!

Based on what I've gathered in this thread and from the Metal thread (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=68501), I did some tracking this weekend. I did the following:

Guitar into Crate Powerblock, line out to Digi002 rack, firewire into Reaper, FX Chain: Guitar Rig, Liteon/nonlinear (to add saturation), the Reaper HP/LP filter. The results were the best I've gotten so far, but not as good as the polished sounding stuff from other folks on the forum.

I know how to get a rip-roaring great tone from my amp in a prohibitively loud garage band setting, but that seems to have very little to do with recording good digital guitar for a mix, so I'm probably misusing Guitar Rig and nonlinear and the HP filter.

Aside from taking shots at Crate, I'd love to know what I could do better, and to learn whatever else this thread will teach!

Thanks everyone.
Totoro75 is offline   Reply With Quote