View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #23
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Thanks serr, it could definitely be related to PDC calculations, some great suggestions here. A few of the mix jobs I get sent here are (at least partially) rescue projects that were recorded by clients under sub-par circumstances, so I usually end up reaching for the fancier forensics plugin stuff when doing my thing, which means PDC is often all over the place.

But, and excuse my grave ignorance on the matter, shouldn’t moving all the plugins on the problematic parent folder to a new ”grandparent” folder simply move the problem with it as well, as the plugins are still on one single track? Because in my case, it doesn’t; the grandparent folder track solves the issue!

Leaving just one ”heavier” plugin on the immediate parent track can make the project behave erratically (not always, but often enough), but as soon as it’s moved to the grandparent folder, things are smooth again. And again, the worst and most obvious case is the use of a 2BUSS folder track nesting everything directly underneath, i.e. maybe ”summing” a lot of PDC calculations…? I always leave this one completely free of FX and only use it for volume automation of the entire mix. If I mix into a software compressor or want to do small EQ tweaks on the entire mix, I put that/those plugin(s) directly on the Master Out and there are rarely any problems. Basically, in-between empty folder tracks alleviate the pain and make for smooth mix sessions.

I suppose I’m just wondering if I should get used to the idea of having a bunch of grandparents on my mixes.

Will definitely try daisy-chaining more when the next project comes in, thanks again for the tip!

//Sven
Good post !
Me 2 will investigate in more "daisy chaining" plugin chains over multiple Tracks, see how / where it get's me performance wise.

The only thing i noticed that, when moving a big bunch of quite heavy processing plugins from Reaper Master Track onto a Folder Track, which holds all Tracks as Child Tracks, performance is somewhat better (say: less "tearing of sound", due to cpu core overload).
Which i always found logical, knowing that Reaper's Master Track FX Chain doesn't support Reaper's famous anticipative processing.
But i am aware of the fact that, reading all previous posts, this fact could maybe abit offtopic.