View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Just record at or near analog 0 - whatever that is on your digital meter, depending on converter calibration - and it takes care of itself. Many prosumer converters are probably -18 or even -15. Pass a tone though one to find out.

That was a long thread and Frindle was 100% correct, but the thing many people missed is they were talking about PTHD so - some - of that stuff doesn't apply to Reaper or any other native daw.

Record in the normal analog ranges and the other stuff takes care of itself. If your converters are calibrated to -20 you shouldn't be consistently over that - RMS wise - anyway. Turning your tracks down to - peak - at -20 isn't quite the same thing.
Yes, of course (: You know that, and I know that, and kelp knows it, too. Now!
How many long-time engineers do you know, Lawrence, that still record far too hot? I know many many of them.
The easiest IMO would be to give a simple visual reference, that will tell them "Hey, could it be you're driving the converters a little too hot? My Reaper meters are all in the red!"
Wasn't that the secret behind the "magic" sound of the Ensoniq Paris system btw.? To meter à l'analogue? So nobody was hitting them olde converters beyond their sweet spot?
beingmf is online now   Reply With Quote