View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #45
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
I think that is a flawed design.
It is impossible to do the most basic straightforward drum sample choking using a design like that.

I think a proper choke has to mute or fade-out audio. You can't do it by sending MIDI note-off.
When playing MIDI drums you typically hit a note and release it immediately, but the sample keeps playing after note-off. Sending another MIDI note-off, to choke the sample, will not cut out the audio. Forcing users to enable "obey note-offs" feels like a bad workaround.
I disagree, since the midi_choke filters the note-offs and only sends them in the instance of a choke. It tells the sampler when it can be playing. You can use very standard MIDI drum parts and add the choke capability later and it will still work. Try it some.

Quote:
Also, AFAIK it's not possible to configure a "bi-directional choke" using midi_choke. For example, note A choking note B, and note B choking note A. This kind of "bi-directional choke" is very simple to setup using choke groups in other samplers/DAWs.
This might be a better argument, but it is also quite solvable via a JS effect (even if midi_choke doesn't currently provide a straightforward solution).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote