View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
ilovesoca
Human being with feelings

Thank you for the reply! I forgot to turn notifications on so I just noticed it now.

I ended up purchasing the dedicated USB receiver, a "WIDIbud" for my CME. The WIDI Bud promises to minimize latency below what the built in bluetooth radio and drivers can provide and it does appear to lower latency to a level barely distinguishable from wired, which is great. It costs 75 CAD which is too expensive for me to pair with my three wireless keyboards and one Yamaha UD-BT01, so I think I will just stick with the single WIDIbud for now.

It's interesting what you say about the differences between types of drivers in Windows, because CME (XKey Air) and Korg (Microkey Air) provide different solutions. CME's driver must be purely "Bluetooth MIDI", while Korg provides a driver which is sometimes recognized by Reaper but does not work consistently. In both cases, NewBodyFresher's MIDIBerry + Tobias Erikson's LoopMIDI is an acceptable (if slightly annoying) solution, and the WIDIbud is best, but expensive (the CME WIDIbud can connect with other bluetooth MIDI devices, including the KORG Microkey Air, but pairing with new devices when changing keyboards is also a little annoying).

The thread you linked is also quite interesting and surprisingly heated for a niche topic like this!

I have to say I don't fully understand why NewBodyFresher can implement a MIDI router that detects "Bluetooth MIDI" but Reaper cannot - but I guess it has something to do with C# and UWP.

Thanks again, Michael.
ilovesoca is offline   Reply With Quote