View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

Ages ago, Puppy linux developed .sfs files, which contain the app(s) and needed libs, utilities etc, and the .sfs files can be loaded on the fly. There was one that contained zynaddsubfx, hydrogen, jackd and qjackctl, among others, so users of a small nimble non-media-centric distribution, could load a working audio production environment whenever-wherever, as Puppy is very physically portable.

Long ago, Alexander Bique nearly single-handedly took the great U-he instruments and effects library, and made them each installable by a script, and Rui Capella sussed out the issue of multiple plugins being provided in one installer...

Per those examples, the issue is really one of human nature. The incumbent stubborness and selfishness of so-called 'free' software developers over-riding common sense, and what benevolence survives 1st world indoctrinations, all in the name of freedumb (aka I'll do it my way, so the 'lesser' distros and apps and libs can all go pound sand).

As for me, I use one distro for audio editing, another for sessions using strictly commercial audio tools, another for mixed-license sessions, another for printing/office duties, and another for travel. (I'll soon add a 6th, for Fedora Pipewire, and see how the dust settles)

I have and use a lot of delightful plugins, so juggling a mere 5 distros is trivial, and major issues popping up are almost nonexistant. For those who will stick to one distro on one computer, sojourns into dependency hell can be minimized by an hour or four in a package manger gui, making a carefully stripped-down distro sans the typical linux shovelware. Only keep what you actually use.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote