View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #19
SoundGuyDave
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Double the guitars as tightly as possible with other synths. Like somebody said maybe some saw synths. I didn’t listen too closely to your link, but I thought I heard like a noise synth in there too. Those guitars on their own probably are fairly thin, but there’s definitely something else happening to fill it out. Maybe try gating the synths and guitars together or via sidechain.
One good trick is as follows: Record a CLEAN DI guitar track, then double it best as possible with a saw-wave synth. Square wave will be too bright, and sine too boring. Process the guitar with a solid amp sim (LePou Lectro is a great free starting point)and add a cab emulator and 4x12 cab IR. Get that dialled in as best you can for a nice heavy sound (not TOO much gain though!). Then gate it, before the amp sim to eliminate the release portion of the envelope. Copy the gate and slap it on after the synth, then use the guitar track to trigger the synth gate. Blend the two to taste.

Quote:
Most important though is to not worry too much about exactly duplicating the tone, but rather to use similar techniques to create something unique of your own.
And there's the best advice of all! Experiment, and the ideas will start to flow. Throw compressors on the guitar between the gate and amp sim, as well as after the cab sim, for example. There are a WEALTH of tones to be found from the pre comp, and lots of interesting things with HEAVY compression on the post comp. Sum the two together and then pitch shift the result by +14 cents and -14 cents, and set up a stereo spread with the three signals. Try shifting the synth a 5th up, or an octave down. Key-gate a white noise track off the guitar, and play with filtering, then blend it in. That doesn't even touch time-based stuff like fast chorus, flange, or delay.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote