View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #154
musinux
Human being with feelings

Default You are talking about: Human Latency compensation!

Hi Chris,

I've read through the whole Thread. Your Workaround with a self prepared 25ms to 35ms delayed Metronome Track is great!
I've found the nudge function ( type [n] for it) as a workaround for this Problem.
Therein you can shift tracks by a chooseable value in milliseconds.
Now what is the reason for this Behaviour?

It is not Reaper! Not the Soundcard reporting wrong Latency times, neither the same issue with the MIDI Driver. And you, the musician is also not responsible to that.

The reasonis, that you are hearing, that there is a small amount of latency while playing with a VSTi Plugin. You hear a timelag between your played notes and the click. Now what happens is that you automatically play a little bit earlier in time, so that your played sound and the click are both in time. You are anticipating the played notes.
But normally you do not record the audio signal but the midi signal. And MIDI is placed there where you've pressed the Key and not there where your sound comes to your ear.

The funniest Thing is, that you've measured exactly the same time lag as I did. 25 to 35ms. I myself measured values between 28 to 34ms depending on the used virtual Instrument.

The time you've played the notes ahead is the sum of all latencys on your Computersystem.

1. Soundcard Latency (on my system 3ms)
2. sampled sound latency (normally around 1 to 8 ms)
3. MIDI Latency (can be between 1 to aprox. 6ms)
4. DA Converter time (1 ms)

Maybe this information is helpful for you. Best Regards, Musinux
musinux is offline   Reply With Quote