View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #31
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I'm slightly confused (sorry), what does "monitoring other midi tracks" mean? As in incoming MIDI from external devices? I only ask because there is no need to record-arm an existing MIDI track with a MIDI item on it. It would only be needed if the incoming MIDI is external.
Apologies, I didn't explain myself very well

I hasten to add that this is only a very recent thing for me, in fact, just in the last week or so, since endeavouring to bring back into play my MIDI hardware synths.

So, by "monitoring other MIDI tracks" I mean the audio from those devices, not the MIDI.

It's been a while since I have done this kind of stuff using SONAR but from memory I didn't have to "arm" a track for recording in order to hear the incoming audio signal. Instead, you simply activated the monitoring button. REAPER has a similar button but we have to ensure that is set to monitor AND arm the track for record at the same time. An extra step, if you like compared to other DAW.

This is not a deal breaker for me and REAPER will remain my main DAW now, having put in so much effort into it over the last couple of months.

cheers

andy