View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #88
Hurricane Ramon
Human being with feelings

Default Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Ramon,

Thanks for your question, the short answer alas is "No". This is a very, very basic book which introduces the newcomer to home recording step by step but doesn't go into that much depth.
Thanx Nicholas for your courtesy response . Can you direct me towards something online or someone / book , that addresses these questions I put forth to you ?

================================================== ===========================

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Try this page:
http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX4/

or this one
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...sp=0&iCncd=266

DarkStar
... interesting, if true.

Hello Darkstar :

I have had this unit a little over 4 years and it's operated really great . I have used it live and also recorded several acoustic steel and nylon guitars with microphones , it's really adaptable for live situations or home studio work .

Truth is I'm only at it on guitar now 10 years and I studied the market for a DAW and fx /stomp boxes , stand alone and computer compatible digital recorder for my electric / acoustic electric / midi guitar ( Godin LGXSA midi guitar ) for recording my stuff .

Almost as long as I have been playing / learning guitar I had also been studying the needed gear for recording live and at home as well as midi guitar systems since I am a multiple instrument player , and sing too .

After I realized I was going to be able to back myself on recordings with guitar and also knowing about the power of midi because of Blues / Jazz/ Rocker Jeff Beck and Jazz / Blues guitarist Pat Matheny and a few others while I wasn't able to play guitar ( long story happy ending so far ) for a long time the midi issue was a natural go for me .

The GR33 Roland hooked to my Godin LGXSA makes strings sound like they are violins , cellos , and so forth because the string of a midi guitar triggers the sound better than a keyboard can . With the audio out of the GR33 I can record into the GNX4 or to my p . c . via the GNX4's USB the " audio " so far only .

But . . . .

I want to be able to record for example a midi song file that uses a acoustic electric country sounding guitar patch and a simple 2 step country shuffle like Emerson Lake & Palmer's " Hoedown "and then goes into something like the Moody Blue's " Ride My See Saw " and when that happens and the song ramps up and I go to a Electric Light Orchestra " Evil Woman " groove and feel with synthesizers going astrophysical , as the guitar patch with out myself making a physical

" foot stomp kick " changes to

the electric guitar patch automatically from acoustic electric patch sound ,

Then

to a Jazzy/Bluesy feel as the midi drums go into something like Santana's Latin " Jingo " with conga drums , timbales , and other Latin percussion kick in as the electric guitar goes primal .

With midi programmed command changes I could do this if I knew how to do it . This system I have is quite capable of doing it .

Me - - I am the weakest link in the proverbial technological chain

In a live situation I could trigger a midi song file after I make a single guitar and vocal intro , this would allow live looping of different instruments to the initial basic rhythm track .

In a studio I can think of many ways this ( midi command changes ) could help . I could hook up a keyboard controller to enable program command changes like those mentioned above and place them into a midi song file ( of a max of 100 midi song files along side of 100 custom made MP3 song files ) on a CF memory card .

2 gig CF memroy cards online @ ebay are cheap !

I custom make guitar patches off the existing 80 in the " user patches " from the 80 unchangeable factory guitar patches . I can store 80 customized patches on board the GNX4 and then an other 80 on the CF memory card .

I blow Blues harp , 55 years since the day I first started in September . I have studied numerous Blues harp giants who played acoustically mic'd harmonicas from a short distance from the mic to those of yesteryear who jammed a microphone up close and personal to a Blues harp and exploded like atomic bombs setting rooms ablaze with fantastic chops as well as a wild animal rough as can be tough sounding groove as intense as a electric guitarslinger . With the amp/cabinet modeler I can get Blues harp legend Paul Butterfield's Fender Bassman tube crunch - - Yep not exactly like it but damn close enough for this harmonica playing mad man .

I could go on and on .

Those two urls are good to learn a bit about this system approach . The Digitech company has a cool forum for the GNX4 , there you can hear what others have made in the manner of personal electric guitar patches . Many are cool and down loadable so you can use them yourself free . There is also a inter prizing forum member who has made for sale a whole bunch of patches for the GNX4 so you don't have to learn how to make these electric guitar patches !

Me I like to tweak em to my personal liking .

I am still learning as I go .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote