View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #2375
ultrasubharmonica
Human being with feelings

Default Creating great mixes out of....

So I've been pouring through this giant thread-still haven't gotten through it all and just wanted to say Thank you. Much to think about. I also wanted to add a side note related to Bitterkitten's post about recording a great mix out of your bedroom. I would strongly urge anyone who wants to "hear" what someone can do with a mix out of a bedroom to check out Porcupine Tree. regardless of whether or not you like the music, listen to the mixes objectively. They are pristine, full, balanced and overall done well. Or well done? It's an inspirational story about Steve Wilson, how he started and how he does it all. I don't normally throw this kind of stuff out there but I thought it was a perfect fit to this thread and shows what can be done with very little. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...cupinetree.htm
One of the first points of the article is understanding what you're hearing. I find that to be my biggest challenge. It's always been a challenge, even when I was recording in bands in a large studio. It's the ultimate question of what is reality when listening to this mix? In my car, on this device, on this stereo or your monitors. Probably another thread but I thought I'd throw that in.