View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #43
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I have several dozen Pis deployed in the Chicago area that work as filters for Positive Train Control network data streaming back to my office in Seattle. They're cheap, they do the job, and while they aren't particularly reliable, they're cheap.

There are also several projects that place several dozen Pis on a network that allow students to develop software intended to run on large scale super-computing arrays without having to pay for time on those systems until they are sure their project is ready to run.
Are you using Windows IoT for these projects, and couldn't the same thing be done with a Linux variant (like Raspbian) to bypass any Microsoft involvement? I have to wonder what additional communication goes on between Windows IoT and Microsoft when you use Windows IoT for your own projects.

Quote:
In short, they are great any time you need something easy to deploy that you don't really care if it frys itself or not.
I use my Pi as a media center streaming 1920x1080 full frame .TS video for one of it's normal tasks. The solid finned aluminum case I put on mine employs thermal paste on each of the main chips, so even though I am hammering it for hours on end streaming recorded movies and such, it never stutters or has any kind of stability issues.

Quote:
I'd never run Reaper on one, though.
I hooked my DAW's eight input rack mount audio interface up to my Pi, and it did quite well recording four tracks of drums at once while playing back two guitars and a bass track, all with multiple FX like compressors, EQs, and reverbs. More than using one for multi-tracking like my test, I could see using one as a multi-track field recorder. Especially the new model 4.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote