View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #405
n997
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
Proved to be incorrect (if you have read some of my previous posts illustrated as well).
Well, majority of keyboard users appear to be satisfied (or in a state of tolerable compromise) with the standard piano keyboard and staff notation. I wouldn't bet on that changing in near decades.

Quote:
I agree about the common standard. And this standard should not be related to any special case of scale or instrument (as otherwise it is now with the Staff and the Piano Keyboard).
I wished for same thing when I was younger. Life has taught otherwise - in an imperfect world compromises have to be made. I chose to adjust to many common compromises, because it makes life easier than trying to fight windmills.
Or, to borrow another poetic expression: "when avalanche has already started, it is too late for pebbles to vote".

Quote:
So back to the Notation System to continue the analogy with English.
We have marvellous 12 tones. They sound brilliant in combinations, intervals, phrases, sequences... but writing them down... well that, my friend, is why this discussion is so controversial.
As I see it, staff notation will exist as it has to this day, due to how much material is written for it and how ingrained it is in traditions. Alongside it, MIDI and piano roll will be canonized as another standard, with a few developments. Compromises will remain, idealistic perfection will not be attained.

Quote:
See, on the guitar you actually interact with the logarithmic nature of how strings vibrate. On the piano is not like that.
This is indeed what I mean. When going down the guitar fretboard, you don't perceive pitches having smaller intervals, even though physically the distance between frets decreases. On piano the "visual translation" to equal spacing is already done, and it corresponds to how the distances between semitones are perceived as equal by human hearing.

On this basis (as well as what I've explained in previous messages) human hearing is well described as logarithmic, concerning cents, semitones and octaves. Same goes for decibels, which are another matter, but nevertheless related.

But we can agree to disagree on terminology
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote