View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #13
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Stage curtains was the first thing that came to my mind as well : ) What a lot of people don't know is that stage curtains, depending, are specifically made to be acoustically useful and flattering
I'm not kidding when I say that I was about to replace my drum kit until I got the curtains up. Such an immediate and tremendous improvement that it became unnecessary. I've gotten some of the best sounding drum recordings I ever have, which needed very little treatment in the mix. This is your basic, small bedroom; not square but close. The drums edges are warped and some cymbals are cracked, but the room just makes them sound good!

I lucked out in that my town has a stage curtain factory in it and we got ours, cut and with mounting holes for like $100! The good, heavy velvet stuff too, but not quite as heavy and soft as I remember actual stage curtain being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
Would those (not sure of technical name) things you can put on mic stands help him? They are basically acoustic foam on a frame that attaches to a mic stand.
Maybe a bit, but not enough. The mic's still pointing at a close reflection point (the wall). But those Eyeball things supposedly work pretty well at eliminating the room, but I've not used one myself.