View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #170
virgult
Human being with feelings

I'm curious to see your viewpoints and opinions on this...
I was a long time Linux user, then in 2009 I bought an iMac for the following reasons:
- It is (or at least it was) the only REALLY SILENT computer. No other brand has ever paid attention to noise like Apple did. Not even very high end pc manufacturers; the only option is to buy specific audio configurations, that cost more than Macs just because they are silent and audio-optimized (but Macs already are... or were). The difference is absolutely noticeable on desktops, almost embarassing on laptops.
- CoreAudio is simply the best sound server on the planet. Only on OSX you can play using Guitar Rig with no audible latency over a backing track that's playing from Youtube. No other sound server lets you do that: when you fire up ASIO/Jack, only one app at a time controls the sound card. It may sound less important, but a sum of many little things like this makes the Mac easy to use, Windows cumbersome, and Linux something in between.
- I could have all the commercial audio plugins without giving up Unix. Bash is still there, I had /dev and /etc and all the tidy Unix environment I fell in love with. And I didn't have to do some strange Wine trickery to get a VST working.

Then, Lion and Mountain lion came up, and the iMac became that sort of digital photoframe with poor ventilation that it is today... I switched to an Asus laptop with Windows 8, and in the next future I'll build an Ivy Bridge-based fanless custom build.
virgult is offline   Reply With Quote