View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 AM   #12
lossius
Human being with feelings

Hi Søren,

First, when using non-standard layouts, most of the "normal" spatialisaiton techniques will usually not work, including VBAP and ambisonics. The reason is that both of those techniques are based on the premises that speakers are encircling the sweet spot.

So, what to use instead?

1. I developed DBAP (Distance-based amplitude panning) in responce to this need. Spat supports DBAP alongside many other techniques, and has the added benefit that it will also emulate room reflections and reverb.
2. More recently I have set up a 2D algorithm using Delauney triangulation. There is a video demo of it here: https://vimeo.com/334983275 (Please just forget about the background image, this was a work in progress and I posted the video late at night when I got excited that it actually worked). I am using this technique for an upcoming permanent sound installation at the Natural Historic Museum in Bergen, opening in the fall.
3. A third option is MIAP - Manyfold-Interface Amplitude Panning: http://www.zacharyseldess.com/miap/ This can be regarded as a more abstacted approach to Delauney triangulation.
4. Have you checked out the ReaSurround plugin? It might serve you very well and is super flexible.

Solutions 1-3 will require two environments to work in tandem in a similar manner to Spat R. The ToscA plugin is great for passing OSC messages back and forth so that you can handle automation from Reaper.

For me, it sounds like it might be useful for you to get involved with Max. One of the reasons why I have been so fond of it, is excactly the ability to work beyond the standard commercial formats that most other programs are limited to.

I have also seen Ableton Live setups for DBAP, but the limitation of tracks to stereo makes for pretty querky and creative use of busses in order to get this working IMHO.

If I get to Copenhagen I will definetivel check your work out. And if you get to Bergen, Norway at any point, please let me know. Would be nice to meet for a coffee.

Trond
lossius is offline   Reply With Quote