View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #113
urednik
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Speakers are just speakers.

Most monitors have been manufactured to be as close to the next produced speaker as possible. The main reason is to be able to work professionally in another room that has been treated and uses the same speakers.

Take the Fostex 6301, which is a ridiculous expensive thing, but a de facto standard in broadcast audio because they're small, solid and everybody uses them. They're only ten watts and they retail around 200 $ a piece...

I need monitors that adapt well to any usually untreated room, so I like to use an old hifi speaker from philips because it's small, active and the woofer is controlled with a feedback velocity sensor. That makes these much more insensitive to the room reflections. At least, that's what I think happens.

The best speakers? Surely not, but I know these speakers, I have six pairs so it doesn't matter if I need to service one.

Let's not forget that the first real monitors also were and still are hifi speakers. And the Yamaha NS-10 wasn't even intended as a "monitor". It was just a hifi speaker that didn't sell...
Not that simple. It is the amplifiers, settings, the whole bundle needs to be balanced. If you just compare sounds of them life you can hear why some are cheap and others not. Treated or untreated room, you hear it. Of course the room is important too.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote