View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #97
norbury brook
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
Because I hate MS and cant afford a MAC!!!

Now a little more serious (although I do not like MS and only a little more of Apple).

Have you (recently) ever tried a nice Linux distro Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

If you dont I really advice to at least in a old PC take the very litle time it is need to and try instal it.

And it is better in every single way for netbooks (unless you run reaper in a netbook).

It is just a better OS, it is faster, visually amazing, stable, use less resources (even with KDE tops at 350MB), easier to manage, and have better pre configurations. Plus you will not need to look for codecs, Also for multimedia and the like it does have more and better software instaled.

Even from a serious use POV it does bring much more things like free office and more.

Plus it is free, and for something as important as the digital is in our days I really think we should support open OS. And when we can not give even more power to company's that use a monopoly to sell us overpriced "%&%$$#""# that we absolutely need to (in these days) our daily lives. I dont even think it is wrong to pirate OS when they exercise such a pressure on us. (does this looks like a ad of a good product https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdyk...layer_embedded )

In many cases Windows is 1/3 to 1/2 of the price of a lower end PC (currently a dual core one), and for some people that is to much, it is also more than 5x the price of reaper, one paying for Windows does lose money that could use to buy Reaper.

Anyway that is just to say that I think a Linux version would be important and I would certainly use and encourage other to use it.
If you're really serious about your music then a decent PC/Mac doesn't cost a lot of money on the grand scale of things.I mean if you play an instrument seriously then it will cost you $1000's of dollars for a decent saxophone, Bassoon,cello,trumpet etc. 20 years ago you'd be looking at a BIG outlay to achieve what you can do now with a $1500 computer and a bunch of software.I was looking at a bicycle the other day that cost £10,000 ( that's $15,000 to you US guys) my point, if your serious about anything it will cost to get the best.

I've used linux over the last 10 years and it has come on, but it's no where near ready for prime time 2010 audio/midi use.My windows 7 x64 DAW and Laptop are 100% stable,which is more than I can say about my Ubuntu partition I've even had evolution mail freeze up on me.

I've made great albums on Pentium III computers with cubase and gigastudio so even a $500 machine now will be better than that,I made good records with Reaper 1.x for god's sake.

People seem to think they 'need' Macs/pro tools/logic/waves/apogee etc etc to make music, you don't,yes all that's stuff is nice but it doesn't make good records...............you do,and sometimes having restrictions brings out the best in creativity...the Beatles and 4 tracks anybody?.......................................... .........................

MC