View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #25
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
...My brain is just likes to imagine cool things like total from scratch builds and community help with sourcing parts. I'm not good at reading schematics, but I am VERY good at finding parts sources. I've even got free parts (that normally require orders of 500+) by bullshitting them and saying I'm prototyping a new product and am testing out various component options....
You know, after investigating these kit options and looking over the schematics, I think we may indeed be able to pull something together ourselves by sourcing our own parts. You mention here that you are quite good at sourcing components. I can probably get most of the semiconductors, caps and resistors if you'd be willing to look into sourcing the transformers in the most cost effective way.

The idea of going completely custom and building 1073 clones from scratch is still very appealing here and I do believe we could build something unique for considerably less outlay than the kits we've investigated so far.

The schematic is not that complex really and these circuits could even be built effectively using veroboard. I've built dozens of things over the last 1/4 century using veroboard and some of these designs are still in use in my studio today.

Let me know your thoughts.